About the Library
The mission of the Maryville Public Library is to provide patrons with quality informational services and educational opportunities.
The primary source of income for the Maryville Public Library is a 14.9-cent property tax levy per $100 of Assessed Valuation. The tax is levied within the city limits of Maryville. Click here for information on the library’s annual budget.
The Maryville Public Library is run by a nine-member volunteer Executive Board of Trustees. The Library Board meets regularly at noon on the second Tuesday of every month.
The 2011-2012 Board of Trustees
|Wilma Henggeler||Assistant Director|
|Kim Offutt||Patron Services|
|Deborah Clark||Preschool Story Hour|
|Mandi Brown||Patron Services|
|Elizabeth Argo||Infant/Toddler Services|
|Jill Emerson||Young Adult Librarian|
Click here to access several library policy documents, including Terms of Library Use, By-Laws of the Library Board of Trustees, and Internet Use policies.
History of the Library
The Maryville Public Library opened its doors to the public on July 1, 1905 at its original location at the corner of Buchanan and Second Streets. The building, constructed of red pressed brick, was funded with a $15,000 gift from the American Industrial Leader and famed philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
The total number of books on hand in January 1, 1910 was 4,468.
(Source: Past and Present of Nodaway County Missouri, B.F. Bowen & Company, 1910)
A major expansion and renovation funded by private donations and grant income began in 1999 and was completed in 2001.
Today, the Maryville Public Library holds over 57,000 titles, as well as public use high speed Internet stations, electronic databases, and wireless access. Materials circulation in 2010-2011 was 77,587.